Earth Hour is this Saturday from 8:30pm - 9:30pm, and if you are thinking of participating you might be strapped for ideas on what to do for an hour with the lights off. If you've never heard of Earth Hour before, it is the single largest global event that started in Sydney Australia in 2007 as a way to engage and empower people on the issues and effects of global warming and energy consumption.
It really is quite a fascinating event and even though it's only an hour without electricity, it feels pretty incredible to participate in something that is celebrated in THOUSANDS of cities around the world.
For some additional reading on Earth Hour visit
- Earth Hour Wikipedia Page
- Earth Hour YouTube Channel
- Earth Hour Twitter
- Earth Hour Website
- Earth Hour News
Without further ado here are 10 ideas on what you can do during Earth Hour.
- Have friends over for a candle lit dinner. Make it an eco-conscious dinner menu if you can.
- Have a fireplace? Chiminea? Candles? Relax with a book, loved one and wine.
- 1 word. S'mores.
- Play candle lit board games, card games, or drinking games. :)
- Go for a walk. With your dog. To the mailbox. To say hi to neighbors. Just for exercise. Whatever.
- Find a public Earth Hour event in your community or visit a spot with high visibility of the city and watch how many lights go out during Earth Hour.
- Come up with a list of ways you can consume less, recycle and reuse more.
- Take a nap.
- Pull out your telescope and look at the moon and stars. Or just look at the moon and stars.
- Get some bongos and start a drum circle ya hippies! Other instruments welcome, too.
Well that's it, those are my 10 ideas on how to spend Earth Hour. Have other ideas on what you can do during EarthHour? Leave them in the comments!